Sunday 17 March 2013

Tablets and mobile apps


For me personally tablets are not going to affect my work too much.  I have never had a smartphone so I cannot comment on them.  As a library assistant my use of mobile devices is limited to handing out IPads at the loans desk, I do realise however that the Librarians use them a lot I know that for example they use their IPads to access tools like Prezi.
 
 I did pick 2 comments from the report that I thought were good indicators of the effect of Tablets in relation to education.  That was The University of Adelaide replacing textbooks with Apple IPads for first year students in its Science program and Penn State Universities developing a mobile video app for video ethnographers to record and annotate video in the field.  This is a long way from how things were done when I was in school and reflects the flexibility of today’s technology and the expanding access to resources.

2 comments:

  1. Things are moving very very fast in this direction- and lots of "bring your own devices" which is having a huge effect on our IT infrastructure. Everyone wants access, wireless now!
    I couldn't read the type in the last bit of your paragraph very well but glad you read more on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky enough to attend the Mobile Learning conference last year in Melbourne, and listened to staff from the Uni of Adelaide discuss their iPad project. Quite amazing! They are also now exploring eTexts and looking at enabling their students to access the majority of their resources from the iPads they receive. Easier to carry an iPad around rather than a whole heap of textbooks!! :)

    ReplyDelete